Preparation time: 10-15 mins
Cooking time : 10 mins
- Spinach - 2 handful or 3 cups ( chopped in small )
- Tuar dal - 1/2 cup
- Onion - 1 small
- Tomato -1 big
- Green Chilli - 2-3
- Curry Leaves - 5-6
- Tamarind paste - 1 tspn
- Garlic - 1-2 cloves
- Chilli powder - 1/2 tspn
- Turmeric - 1 pinch
- Dhaniya powder - 1/2 tspn
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tspn
- hing/asafoetida powder- 1 pinch
- Wash and chop the Spinach leaves in small.
- In a small cooker ( 3 ltrs) add Tuar dal , spinach leaves, chopped tomato , chopped onion , garlic , tamarind paste ,green chilli , red chilli powder, dhaniya powder & salt . ( no need to add oil )
- Add approx 400 ml of water. Pressure cook on medium flame for 2 whistles.
- Once you open the cooker , smash the dal nicely so that it blends with the leaves and form a thich texture. I use a wooden stick for this.
- Then temper it with oil ,Curry leaves , mustard seeds & asafoetida powder.
Spinach dal is ready to be served with hot hot rice !