This Tamil New year , I made Puran Poli along with spicy gravy & rice ! Being a working day , didn't get much time to make Vada -Payasam .
As brought up in Maharashtra , I make puran poli in wheat flour rather than in Maida. This is different than the traditional Obat made in south india.
Preparation time and Cooking time : approx 1 hr
For Puran Poli: ( makes approx 6)
- Chana dal - 1 cup
- water - 200-300 ml for boiling dal
- Sugar - 1/2 cup ( for dal stuffing)
- cardamom powder - 1/4 tspn ( for dal stuffing)
- Wheat flour - 1 1/2 cup
- Salt -1/2 tspn for dough
- Oil - 1 tbspn for dough
- Ghee for brushing the puran poli.
- Red Onion - 1 medium sized ( not very big)
- Garlic clove - 1
- Grated dry coconut -1/4 cup
- Dhaniya powder - 1 tspn
- Chilli powder - 1 tspn
- Salt - 1 tspn
- Chole Masala - 1 tspn
- Turmeric - 1/4 tspn
- mustard-cumin seeds - 1/2 tspn
- Oil - 2 tbspn
- Water - 500-600 ml ( or leftover dal water of Puran Poli dal )
- Soak the dal overnight and boil with very little water for 2 whistles
- Boil the dal ( without soaking) for 20 mins or so on medium low flame with 300-400 ml water
- Once the dal is boiled, smash it nicely and then pour it in a hot pan . And keep stirring it on medium high flame till it becomes dry.
- In between add sugar and cardamom powder.
- Meanwhile the dal is boiling , prepare the soft dough with - wheat flour , salt ,oil & water.
- Like alu paratha , make the round balls of dough with dal filling and roll it gently.
- On a hot tawa , place the poli and once its cooked on both sides , brush it with little ghee. ( Ghee adds more taste)
- In a pan add 1 tspn oil and once it is hot add slice long onion and roast it till its nice brown in color ( approx 4-5 mins) and then add chopped garlic pod to it and let it cool on side.
- Grind the roasted onion and garlic to a rough texture ( not paste).
- Take a deep vessel or pan and add oil to it ( 2 tbspn ) and then add mustard-cumin seeds . Add onion- garlic and grated coconut , Stir for a min on medium low flame and then add spices and water. ( Here you can add water leftover from the boiled dal for Puran Poli . This will give thick texture to the gravy)
- Boil the gravy for 15 mins approx ( you can make it spicy as per your taste level)
Puran Poli & gravy is ready to be served !